Friday, May 05, 2006

I'm done

Turned in my notice today. It was hard, especially with my boss tempting me to stay by offering me a more flexible position. Of course, that would've dumped my drudge work on someone else. My stock would plummet among my colleagues, guaranteed. I didn't want that.

Every time someone approached me to talk about it, I'd break down like an idiot. Lots of crying. "Tears of joy?" one editor joked . Hardly.

Of course, my boss's inbox immediately filled with queries from insiders wanting my job. Can't blame them. I feel crappy for a moment, but then I remember my 4-year-old the other night, the night after I had a meeting that ran past their bedtime, when he asked for a hug. He said, "Mama, I'm glad you're here."

That's the only thing that makes what I did today seem like the right thing. In two weeks, it's on to the next phase.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home